The Office for Civil Rights in Action (OCR) launched the Resources for Mobile Health App Developers, replacing their previous Health App Developer Portal. It provides guidance to Mobile Health App Developers including:
- How HIPAA rules apply to specific scenarios where mobile health apps are used.
- An interactive tool to determine which federal laws may apply to a developer’s app.
- Frequently asked questions about HIPAA rules in regards to right of access, apps, and APIs.
- Frequently asked questions about health IT and HIPAA.
- Guidance on cloud computing technologies and compliance with HIPAA obligations.
Resources for Mobile Health Apps Developers
CITI Program’s HIPAA and Mobile Apps Content
Mobile Apps and Human Subjects Research
This module discusses the ethical issues associated with mobile apps in research and gives practical advice. It is part of our Human Subjects Research (HSR) courses. It was authored by experts in the research and regulatory field.
View Our HSR Catalog
Health Privacy (HIPAA)
The Basics of Health Privacy module provides information on the core elements of HIPAA requirements. Additional content focuses on healthcare roles and types of activities as HIPAA’s requirements are largely conditioned by the purposes behind the collection, use, or disclosure of health information.
View Our Health Privacy (HIPAA) Course