The U.S. Department of Education (ED) has released proposed amendments to Title IX regulations. The proposed changes are intended to ensure that students, teachers, and employees are granted full protection from all forms of sex discrimination in federally funded institutions. They also intend to provide students support in accessing equal educational opportunities as well as advance fairness for all in school procedures for complaint investigation. The changes address 13 specific issues including:
- Defining Sex–Based Harassment
- Addressing Off–Campus Conduct that Creates or Contributes to a Hostile Environment in a Recipient’s Education Program or Activity
- Title IX Coordinator Response to Sex Discrimination
- Grievance Procedures for All Sex Discrimination Complaints under Title IX
- Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Sex Characteristics
Visit the press release page for more information including the unofficial version of the proposed rule and a summary document that includes a fact sheet.