Season 1 – Episode 17: Instructional Designer for Online Learners
Instructional design is a fundamental component of creating any class, however; differences do exist between traditional face-to-face instruction and online instruction. Since the transition to online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic, online courses have continued to maintain their spot as a fixture within higher education in the U.S. Many students, have continued to enroll in online courses even after traditional face-to-face courses resumed at campuses across the country, due to the flexibility online learning provides. In these online courses, creating a sense of community can be a factor in ensuring a student’s success in the course. Through the principles of instructional design, administrators, faculty, and staff can create an environment in which online courses are just as engaging as traditional face-to-face courses and form an online community.
How to Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can find On Campus with CITI Program available from several of the most popular podcast services. Subscribe on your favorite platform to receive updates when episodes are newly released. You can also subscribe to this podcast, by pasting “https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1896915.rss” into your your podcast apps.
- Season 1 – Episode 16: Leading an Academic Department
- Season 1 – Episode 15: Student Privacy: Higher Education
- Season 1 – Episode 14: Monkeypox: What Higher Education Institutions Need to Know
- Season 1 – Episode 13: Fair Grading Practices and Online Learning
- Season 1 – Episode 12: ADA, Accommodations, and Higher Education
- Season 1 – Episode 11: Supporting Student Mental Health: Creating a Community of Care
- Season 1 – Episode 10: Clery Act and Student Advocacy
- Season 1 – Episode 9: Title IX and Clery Act: What You Need to Know
- Season 1 – Episode 8: Supporting Faculty Mental Health
- Season 1 – Episode 7: Anticipated Changes to Title IX
- Season 1 – Episode 6: The Annual Security Report and Clery Act
- Season 1 – Episode 5: Supporting Nontraditional Students
- Season 1 – Episode 4: Campus Safety and Collaboration
- Season 1 – Episode 3 (Special Topic): COVID-19, Variants, and Higher Ed
- Season 1 – Episode 2: Clery Act Crimes
- Season 1 – Episode 1: What is the Clery Act?
Meet the Guest
Diana Brandon, PhD – Florida State University
Dr. Diana L. Brandon is a Teaching Faculty member of the Educational Psychology and Learning Systems program at Florida State University, which she joined in 2020. Her career includes a wide variety of teaching environments including higher education, K-12 classrooms, and museum education.
Meet the Host
Darren Gaddis, Assistant Director for Content and Education – CITI Program
He is the program manager and lead developer for educational content for higher education and research methodology at CITI Program. Mr. Gaddis received his BA from University of North Florida, MA from The George Washington University, and is currently a doctoral student at Florida State University.